Re: Gtk+ printing dialog highlevel thoughts

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 20:07 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Another important feature that the generic API has to support is
> some form of printing feedback (spinning icon while printing) and job
> cancellation support.

We do this in Fedora/RHEL right now with D-Bus patches to CUPS which
polls job states and broadcasts signals for local printers.  For remote
printers eggcups polls directly.  It is not the best.  CUPS 1.2 has
notification support where we can write a notifier to propagate the
events over D-Bus.  We might need to write a remote notifier also. Does
CUPS 1.2 have notifiers that will propagate to a local cups notifier?
Eggcups right now handles job cancellation and showing state changes.

The biggest problem with relying on 1.2 is that it is not out yet.
Michael, excuse me if you answered this in another e-mail, but do you
know the time frame?  I'm going to get the sources and play around with
it a bit.  Perhaps I can take what we have got and move the API closer
to what we will have in the future.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>