Re: Directfb Backend

Mike Emmel wrote:
On 1/4/06, Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:

- Is it good enough to run large applications with it, e.g. the Gimp ?

No it does most of gtktest and gtkdemo.
I've not even tried Gimp.

I've just built the GIMP 2.2.10 against GTKDFB 2.8.3 with the following configure options to simplify the compile process (i suppose a fully-featured GIMP can be built too ) that went smooth.

./configure --prefix=/home/attilio/gimp --without-x --without-libtiff --without-libmng --without-libexif --without-aa --without-gtkhtml2 --without-librsvg --without-lcms --disable-print

Even if at runtime the GIMP produces a lot of warnings and sometimes crashes, it seems GTKDFB is actually suitable to build and run such a complex app [1] :) Luckily, the debian graphical installer [2] is a much simpler GTK app that works well even with the old GTKDFB 2.0.9 port (we plan to switch to a more recent GTKDFB version as soon as possible, maybe after the Extremadura meeting [3] where we hope we'll be able to fix some bugs in both GTKDFB and DFB).

ciao

Attilio

[1] https://debian.polito.it/downloads/gimp_gtkdfb.png
[2] http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/daily/i386/mini.iso