Re: Pango-1.11.99 "Just In Case" released [unstable]

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 21:47 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> > * Insert '?' chars instead of invalid UTF-8 sequences in
> >   pango_layout_set_text [#33195]
>
> A long, long time ago we mande the decision to assume that
> pango_layout_set_text() gets a valid UTF-8 string.  Doing otherwise
> would kill performance.  This requirement is even documented in that
> function's docs.

You sure?   Until just before 0.11.6 it was validating the string
all the time.  And none of us noticed anything in performance
analysis, right?

> Can't we add something to the docs instead, along the
> lines of "if you crash inside this function, you passed an invalid UTF-8
> sequence, doofus!".

Do you really think people read docs when they see crashes?  What
Owen suggested and I agree is, if we don't see that validation in
any profiles, let it be.

>   Federico

--behdad
http://behdad.org/