Re: About symbols in gtkfilesystem.h

Xuedong Zhang wrote:

>Hi,
>
>  I am interested in writing a general DIRECTORY widget for gtk
>applications. It seems to me that the semi-private interface provided in
>gtkfilesystem.h is really useful to serve such a purpose.
>
>  The problem is that the symbol
>
>GtkFileSystem  *_gtk_file_system_create (const char *file_system_name);
>
>is not exported. So I cannot really load such a filesystem object in my
>program.
>
>  My question is that is it possible to export _gtk_file_system_create
>as semi-private symbol in gtk library??? Or is that any plan to make
>this head file more public?

Those symbols are not exported because no commitment has been made to
keep them stable.  So if they were exported and you used them, your app
could break between versions 2.8.5 and 2.8.6, for instance.

That isn't to say that a directory chooser widget isn't a good idea.
Just that it would need to be developed as part of GTK itself.

James.