Japanese characters in paths (GTK 1.2)

Hi,
I would like to know what I have to do or use in order to be able to use Japanese characters in GTK 1.2 ?
Because when paths to files contain Japanese characters, I don't see the directories names at all.
Is possible at all to do that with GTK 1.2?
gtk_set_locale() didn't do the trick...

The same goes for French characters (accents for example), because when I use a path with such characters, I get many warnings...

The application programmed with the (very) old GTK 1.2 is quite big, so I'd rather avoid making the step to GTK 2.x in the near future...