RE: gtk on mac os x menu bar

gtk-devel-list-bounces gnome org wrote:
> Hello all, I'm the guy who does the Gimp.app package. I was just
> reading about the gtk on mac os x progress and the discussion about
> the proper way to handle the menu bar. I'd just like to throw in on
> the side of automating it to put the menu of the focused window in the
> menu bar. I don't really understand the alternative argument at all.
> The java example was a good one. This is exactly how platform
> independent java menus are handled by apple and it is the "right
> thing" to do. Another example is carbon-emacs which also places the
> menu of the current emacs buffer in the menu bar. Not doing this would
> mean leaving menus in the windows and with os x that just isn't done.
> The currently focused window controls the menu bar. That's just the
> way it is and how os x users expect it to be. At the very least there
> should be a configure option to turn on automatic menu handling at
> compile time.

<snip>

It's great that a native mac os port is being done: thanks to all involved.
As somebody said the most important thing is to get it working at all :) As
a lurker on this list and a mac os x user it seems odd to think the menu bar
placement wouldn't be automatic. Whatever menu is at the top of a window on
X windows/gtk would be at the top of the screen under mac os x. This may
change between different windows in the same app, but that's ok for mac os.
It might make sense to have custom behaviour in some situations, but to be
honest I can't think of them straight off ! Really the automatic solution
would be right for 99% of apps.

Thanks again for the great work,

Jools