Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 11:14, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le vendredi 14 avril 2006 à 19:28 +0200, Jernej Simončič a écrit :
> > On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:14:17 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> >
> > > - One selection per application ?
> > > - One selection per window ?
> > > - One selection per widget ?
> >
> > I'd go for one selection per widget - I'm always annoyed in X when I select
> > something, and my previous selection is erased (even though I do often use
> > the middle-button pasting).
>
> Nice. And now when you press Ctrl-C, what happens ?

Well, being merely a user, I would expect it to copy the selected object
in the currently focussed widget. Is there something difficult or
non-obvious about that?

As for the pasting operation, I would expect that Ctrl-V would paste the
object that was last copied or cut using Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X, regardless of
PRIMARY selection.

Further, middle-mouse pasting should occur with the last object selected
with the mouse, regardless of Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X.

I don't even think that PRIMARY selection requires a special visual cue
to distinguish it from other selections. My argument here is that
pasting from PRIMARY *always* occurs immediatly (or very soon after)
selecting. It's inconceivable to me that someone would select with the
mouse then leave their task for a long time and then return and paste
with the middle button.

I find this system to be very simple and flexible. Users who want to use
PRIMARY-style pasting can do so. Users who want to use the Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V
method can do so. User that have need of both are free to use them both.
I fall into that last group.