Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

> From: "Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro"
>   Maybe users don't know what X11 is, but maybe they
> know what the
> middle button usually does in text widgets; it's
> very easy to discover
> this even by accident, and it's a very useful
> feature once discovered.
> And GNOME itself has behaved like this _forever_.
> We shouldn't break
> (i.e. change) user interfaces like this without a
> very compelling
> reason.  And no, "mozilla does differently", or
> "win32 does differently"
> is _not_ a compelling reason.  Past versions of
> GNOME itself should have
> more weight than win32 or mozilla.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we remove this
feature.
What I am trying to point out is that many developers
are far too entrenched in things that common users
have no interest in, and we need to get out of this
mindset to fix a problem.

The current behaviour breaks the principle that each
application is entirely separate from others. You
could say that as long as we have this problem of a
background application forgetting its selection, we're
not truly a multi-tasking environment.
You could also say we're violating the HIG, because
we're not respecting the user's data.

> From: Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi>
> <user mode>
> middle button? I don't have any middle button. I
> have this weird wheel
> thingie.
> </user mode>

Exactly.
And it's hard to accurately click a mouse wheel in a
specific spot without scrolling the text you're aiming
for.