Re: selected text is PRIMARY?

Xavier Bestel wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 22:48, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
I actually doubt that if you have two selections with same colors
and everything, then it will cause troubles. Yes, you are not able
to tell which one will get pasted. But how often does it happen,
that you select some text, have a cup of coffee, then come back and
press middle mouse button? I guess less often than you would be
annoyed by rainbow on your screen :)

Your suggestion is akin to removing the visual feedback on widgets.
After all, when you click on a button you are in front of the screen and
you know where you clicked, why bother with a visual feedback ?
This is the example of where visual feedback *is* needed, try to click twice without moving mouse :) Anyway, it's not correct. I am not saying that visual feedback is not needed. I am saying that in this particular case I can't see a good way to indicate visually that given selection acquired PRIMARY, and that the absence of visual feedback in this particular case is not that bad.

The 'selected in PRIMAY' has been deeply entrenched in the X11 culture
for years. If the only selling point for removing it is "in most cases
it won't hurt", then the cause is lost.
I really need to prepare some reply template for such cases. No, I do not want to remove something just because I want to remove it. I want to be able to have two selections simultaneously.

Best regards,
Yevgen