Re: Callback based tooltips (Re: New tooltips API, continued)

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 10:00 +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Alex Graveley wrote:
>

> > I sounds good to me, as long as I can force a tooltip to display on-demand as
> > it would if the mouse were hovering over it.
>
> hm, can you please explain the use case for forefully displaying tooltips?
> as opposed to waiting for the usual user configurable timeout and honour
> user settings like display-tooltips = off ?

I can think of a scenario where an application is used for the first
time and shows a tooltip for a widget that hasn't even got focus to
direct the user to start using the software.

For example, a complicated window might have a bunch of widgets on it
and new users might think, crap where do I start? But a tooltip could be
shown with something like "Start here by entering your search criteria
into this entry box...".

I think my scenario is more of a tutorial mechanism for new users.

Martyn