Re: canvas notes

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 10:29 +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 20:23 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 09:53 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > * OpenGL
> >
> > Any thoughts on that 3D vs. 2D thing? i.e. it seems like we want to be
> > able to mix OpenGL and Cairo at will, but it isn't clear to me what that
> > really means.
> >
> > Kind of a similar question to is a compositing manager best done with
> > RENDER or GL as the foundation maybe...
>
> I think you should take it one step at a time, i.e first get a 2D
> zoomable, printable, cairo canvas working, then think about 3D.
>
> Otherwise you'll probably spend the next year just discussing what
> features should be in it!

  I completely agree!  Besides:

	1. Not that many apps need 3D anyway;

	2. (like Jean Br�ort says) OpenGL is not printable, and IMHO all
applications should have a print option for any useful data they
produce. (by print I mean either on paper or to PDF file).  Let's face
it: in the real world, most apps are not that useful without print or
export options; it's like an editor that can open and edit files, but
not save them!

	3. All 3D is actually translated to 2D anyway, sooner or later, so a
determined programmer could do 3D anyway on top of 2D Cairo, albeit
requiring some 3D and math knowledge and not as much hw accelerated as
OpenGL.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic