Re: docking widgets

В Пнд, 05/09/2005 в 15:54 +0200, Erwin Rol пишет:
> Hey all,
>
> I was looking for a C++ docking widget, and found gdl, and am now
> writing a C++ wrapper for it. What i am wondering is are there any plans
> for a docking widget, like gdl, to be included in GTK 3.x ? or maybe
> even 2.10 ? If not what should be done to have something like gdl
> included ? Cause i really think a good docking widget would be good for
> GTK.
>
> - Erwin
>
> BTW For ppl that don't know GDL, it can be found here :
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gdl/
> and here
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdl/

Hello Erwin.

GDL is really useful and we are also using it in our project. The
question you've stated was discussed recently, and here is the position
on it:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-August/msg00207.html

Although I also would like to see such widget in GTK+. The thing we can
change is to develop such widget, polish it and add more features. Btw,
it's already included into libegg, but the feature of that gdl version
is unclear. What should we do with? It seems that libegg dock version is
unmaintainer and development happens in gdl CVS module.

We should also more actively fix bug in this widget - there are some
filled in CVS, but they aren't handled for now. And of course I am
asking question about generic docking widget design. Currently
application with dock widgets should handle four XML trees - UI manager
tree, toolbar editor tree and GDL tree.  Also it's possible to get some
widgets from glade xml tree. Isn't it too much?

This leads to some ideas like XUL - using of common dynamic tree to
store all UI, but I don't know it this can be easily implemented.