Re: Should gdk_rgb_get_visual()->depth be display's depth?

Hello again and thans a lot for beeing that patient with me ;-)

Sorry with bothering you with problems like that, its just that sich
insider GTK information is hard to find for a gtk-newbie and  to
argument I just need to be able to explain whats wrong.
Furthermore if I write "Owen Taylor said" everybody listens with respect ;-)

> gdk_rgb_get_visual() will never return a visual that the display doesn't
> claim to support. If the 770's X server is claiming to support 24 bit
> visuals but doesn't that's an X server bug.
>
> Still, I have a hard time believing that nobody would have noticed
> gdk_rgb_get_visual() yet, so I think you should recheck your results.

I contacted the Nokia developers and they responded (at least one of
them) that the behaviour is totally ok, in fact this is what they
replied:

"As you can successfully create 24bit pixmaps I think it's pretty safe to
say the server does in fact support 24bit pixmaps just fine.
The documentation for gdk_drawable_get_colormap() says:
There is no mention that NULL would be an error of any kind, there just
isn't a colormap (explicitly) set for the drawable."

So should I set a colormap for 24-bit modes? Is it valid that it
returns 24-bit although the device itself runs wit 16-bit. I think
this is at least terrible for performance since especially embedded
devices (like the 770) have underpowered grahpic processors.

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens