Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

[Sebastien: I rewrote this letter to be of interest to other people,
too. Consider my issues as closed/known.]

I wrote:
> Where should I file/report bugs?
>
> Firefox stopped showing text (no text anywhere, no menus, ...)
> and gives lots of
>
> (Gecko:6649): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_cairo_show_glyph_string:
> assertion `PANGO_IS_CAIRO_FONT (font)' failed

Sebastien Bacher answered:
> Seems to be
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-June/msg00078.html
> which is described as a gecko (firefox) issue.

It is exactly the same bug. Good to know that it is a known one. This
boils down to about three open issues with gtk 2.7:

- (big?) pixmap problems (e.g. evolution, my program)
- rotated text (Owen said this to be a different error)
- gecko (actually only solvable there)

IMHO this shows that Gtk 2.7 should be in a well enough state for
getting used in gnome 2.11.
[Owen already (and still) is busy killing performance bottlenecks at an
enourmous rate (AFAICT from the cairo mailing list)]

   Christof