Re: gtk regression test suite

On 6/13/05, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 10:10 -0400, Mike Emmel wrote:
> > It would be nice if a regression suite allowed use of a high level
> > language to write the tests  for example python. I  know this adds a
> > extra layer on one hand but I think it makes it much easier to write
> > the larget number of test cases needed. Also object oriented methods
> > in python could make it easy to resuse existing code in  new tests.
>
>   PyGTK, like perl bindings, also already has unit tests.  So just
> use/extend them, but let's not add pygtk dependency to gtk+, it has to
> be the other way around :)
>
>   Regards.

It does not have to be especially in software :)
One of the primary purposes of gtk is to support high level language
bindings by using one of them extensivily in the test suite this
binding ability is also tested.  The test framework should be its own
project thats a peer with gtk so its dependencies are different. They
rapidly grow beyond a simple directory of test cases. I suspect with a
little thought the language binding tools used to generate the binding
i.e the defs files could be used to generate a skelton test cases. If
assertion defs were added then they could even generate real cases.
Python is easier the generate but you could do C code also.

Generally my point is look at automating as much as possible moving to
a dynamic language like python is a step towards highly automated
testing. My experience with programmers and testing is that by giving
them a easy to use automated framework you increase the probability of
a useful test case being written by like 90%.