Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:09 +0200, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:28 +0100, David A Knight wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 10:34 +0200, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> >
> > > The recently used manager is checked by GtkFileChooser: developers need
> > > not to meddle with a RecentManager object directely.  Once a document is
> > > opened or saved using the FileChooser, it is automagically added to the
> > > list.
> >
> > A nice idea in theory, however it doesn't handle the case of a document
> > being opened via drag/drop, so applications would need to use
> > RecentManager for that.
>
> Why is that?  For DnD targets we could supply a simple text/uri: any
> RecentChooser implementation should provide it by default.  Unless I'm
> missing something very obvious, here.

For the exact same reason a GtkFileChooser has access to the manager, to
add new items.

The RecentChooser is an API intending for widgets that allow viewing the
recent items isn't it?  Not adding new items.

Looking at the RecentChooser API the only method that possibly sticks
out to add a new recent item is set_current_uri().  If this is what it
is for, the name isn't entirely obvious, adding a recent item has
nothing to do with setting a current uri, and then requires you to get
the item, then set the mime type etc. which is then exposing parts of
the RecentManager interface.

It seems far more logical to me that an application would just use the
recent manager, which is the underlying model, rather than going through
a view.  My understanding of this could be clouded completly by the
current eggrecent code.

David

--
Make your website SCREEM - Site Creating & Editing EnvironMent

Mail: david screem org