Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:39 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:29 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> > Hey hey hey, let's stay calm here. GNOME necessarily works on a
> > short-term-benefit model; the question we need to ask is "Is going to
> > GTK+ 2.8 in less than 6 months *definitely* not going to have any
> > negative implications on that version of GNOME?" And it's a fair
> > question to ask, because last time we did this the answer was "Yes, it
> > did."
>
> 	That particular negative impact on GNOME you're referring to is that it
> delayed the GNOME release.
>
> 	Matthias's mail basically says that that isn't going to be an issue
> this time and details what the GTK+ guys are doing to make sure of that.
>
> 	So, lets not get things mixed up here. Performance worries are very
> different from meeting-the-schedule worries.

There were a couple of stability issues too (nothing terribly major, but
it wasn't quite up to the very high standards that GTK+ releases
normally set for themselves).

I can't remember specifically what they were, any more.

But you're right, they weren't performance issues, so I might be talking
at 90 degrees to everyone else.
--
Andrew