Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

On 6/8/05, Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:
> Hey,
>         I guess there's quite a few benefits/risks to be weighed up here:
>
>   - The benefit of having cool new rendering stuff in GNOME 2.12
>
>   - The benefit of being able to use all the other new APIs in GTK+
>     2.8 for GNOME 2.12
>
>   - The benefit of getting all this stuff tested early (i.e. before
>     GTK+ 2.8 is released, rather than after)

I'm all in favor of *testing* gtk 2.8 as much as possible now (so I
think it should be left in jhbuild), but I'm very nervous about
shipping with it at this point- we all know HEAD does not get as much
testing as it should, and gtk 2.8 seems like some very big changes
with potentially huge stability implications. Basically, unless Ubuntu
breezy starts shipping it, or Fedora makes a very active push to get
people to use it in Rawhide, I'm very nervous about shipping anything
we'd call a .0 linking against gtk 2.8.

Luis