Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 10:19 +0200, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> I've spoken with Federico at GUADEC about the recently used files
> handling, and we came up with some ideas for improving the current
> situation.

I must say that the huge delay at the crappy restaurant in front of the
conference center certainly helped us in terms of having enough time for
our discussion :)

> I've attached a prototype API for GtkRecentItem and GtkRecentManager
> (already set to live in libegg, for the time being). Let me know what
> you think of it.

This looks very good!  I have a few minor comments about the API, which
I'll post tomorrow if I have time.  In the meantime, I sketched out a
list of requirements here:

	http://live.gnome.org/RecentFilesAndBookmarks

[I moved the old content to a sub-page, for reference.]

As to your Perl mockup --- do we need such a megawidget inside GTK+?  I
think it would only be necessary if we wanted the main way in apps to
access the recent files to be through such a dialog.  However, if we put
this in the desktop itself (Nautilus or the Panel?), then it should not
be inside GTK+.  I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, except
for sketching out how it would actually use the proposed API to see if
the API makes sense.

Other than that, the mockup looks gorgeous :)  It's a bit cluttered, but
it's a great start.

  Federico