Re: include gtkspell3 in gtk+

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:30:33 -0800, Harring Figueiredo wrote:
> Not every application needs a spellchecker. I am afraid GTK will become
> bloated with this type of fucntionality.

I asked Owen about this some time ago and he seemed to agree that this
functionality didn't belong in GTK+.

The flip side is that other frameworks like Cocoa have it built in, it's a
useful feature for the end user, and if it's code size bloat you're
worried about it doesn't actually have to be in the same library as GTK+
itself, it could be a required extra library like Pango/ATK is.

If it's maintainer burden/bug bloat you're worried about then, well, that
argument could be used for any new feature.

The main issue is what to do when Enchant or whatever is missing. Probably
just dlopen it and if it's missing, disable the spelling checker. Quite a
few programs already do this.

thanks -mike