Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:49:45PM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Morten Welinder wrote:
>

> >>before starting to investigate in ugly hacks to continue maintaining the
> >>current GTK_FLOATING semantics with GtkObject, i'd really like to raise
> >>the issue that people/langauge bnindings most probably never should be
> >>setting GTK_FLOATING with GTK_OBJECT_SET_FLAGS. besides the obvious
> >>implementation, the only case i saw so far where this was need is
> >>in GtkMenu.
> >
> >Gnumeric's use is in go_combo_popup_reparent which pretty much mirrors
> >gtk_menu_reparent.
> >
> >Note, that GTK_OBJECT_SET_FLAGS is a macro.  Fixing it will not help
> >programs compiled against, say, gtk+ 2.6 headers.  If the user updates
> >gtk+, the application breaks, i.e., no ABI stability.
>
> yes, i'm fully aware of that, it was listed as possible impact
> in the original thread:
>   http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2005-September/msg00165.html

this thread never really addressed my concern,
which was that this makes it so that container classes
before 2.10 have one style, and >=2.10 have another.
considering that this change is trying to simplify
memory management, i'm dubious.

as i origianlly mentioned, my example is
  g_value_set_object()
which clearly should ref_sink(), but clearly cannot
for abi compatiblity reasons (though i'm not exactly going to
be shocked when a patch goes in that does it anyways...)

- dave