Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On 12/14/05, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:

Okay.  So how do we do it without breaking the ABI?

The fact that this ABI is so low down in the stack means that things
become *really hard* in the upper layers.

How do we build applications against a new Glib (without using new
APIs), especially GTK+ applications, and yet be able to run them on
older versions of Glib?

This has never been supported.

How do we avoid breaking existing apps which use GtkObject's floating
stuff, and have them run unchanged on a newer Glib?

This is what we need to figure out.

Remember that GNOME 2.14 will use GTK+ *2.8*, but Glib *2.10*.  We can't
break that code.

There is no problem in this combination. GTK+ 2.8  continues to use the  GtkObject floating flag,
and does not care about the GObject floating flag at all. We decided to allow finalizing floating GObjects,
so there is no problem.

Matthias