Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Murray Cumming wrote:

Murray Cumming wrote:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Murray Cumming wrote:

In GTK+ 2.9, GTK_FLOATING is deprecated and README.in states that it
can
no longer be used to detect floating objects. I hope nobody is using
that. I assume that effort was made to avoid this ABI breakage.

But does this also mean that setting GTK_FLOATING has no effect with
2.9?

right, since the floating flag is stored in GObject in 2.9, so altering
the GtkObject won't have any effect.

Eek. This is where we discover who else uses that.

Are you saying that you are manually tweaking the value of GTK_FLOATING,
rather than using g_object_ref() / gtk_object_sink() pair?

Yes, we are using GTK_OBJECT_SET_FLAGS(objcet, GTK_FLOATING). I'm not sure
of any alternative to that, without glib 2.9. g_object_ref() +
gtk_object_sink() goes in the other direction.

It's not the most fun part of the gtkmm code.

before starting to investigate in ugly hacks to continue maintaining the
current GTK_FLOATING semantics with GtkObject, i'd really like to raise
the issue that people/langauge bnindings most probably never should be
setting GTK_FLOATING with GTK_OBJECT_SET_FLAGS. besides the obvious
implementation, the only case i saw so far where this was need is
in GtkMenu.
so, could you please outline why you need this in GtkMM (especially
considering that james gets along without it in python)?

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com

---
ciaoTJ