Re: pango makefile fix breaks gtk build

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Carol Spears wrote:

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:58:31AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:

mclasen mentioned this whitespace online as well, if it is a problem
with the patch that i attached to that bug report, then it must also be
a problem in the other patch that is there?

in general, it's not a good idea to mix whitespace fixes with technical
changes, that distracts from the task at hand when reviewing patches.

pango is not dependent on glib?

pango has a hard dependency on glib.

b) outline the actually build error you're running into (in this case copy
   the relevant build log excerpt from gtk) if you run into problems

it is too simple to need pasted errors.  i want to have software
installed from my distribution and i also want to build my own using
"fresher" or even cvs builds in /usr/local/.  the build archetecture to
do this is so close to being there to allow this, except for one of the
build tools.

this is essentially unsupported by the projects you're using.
what the developers are using and the only thing you can reliably expect
to work (also for future changes) is to build your stuff in a seperate
prefix with jhbuild.

c) if we still can't get things fixed, try building the toolchain with
   jhbuild, we can give hand holding on how to do that on #gtk+

i don't know jhbuild.  with all due respect, it is too easy to type
./autogen --help or ./configure --help myself than to learn yet one more
software whose task would be to type this for me.  ;)

jhbuild also takes care about getting you the correct package versions
and building otehr dependent modules. if we change the dependencies in
the gtk+ or gnome toolchain, we simply update jhbuild's build description
files and keepo things working for everyone that way.

if you want to stay out of that loop, you're guranteed to run into problems,
and you're very unlikely to get support with problems no one else runs into.

i am sorry that i posted the email here about this.

you're welcome. there may be others here who tried following development
without jhbuild and had to give up ;)

thanks for answering,
carol

---