configure.in changes

I just rewrote large chunks of the X checks in configure.in ... there
were a couple of points of this:

 - Remove the entanglements with pangoxft, which I've removed as a
   dependency of GTK+.

 - Use pkg-config as much as possible rather than older heuristics.
   With X11R7 .pc files for the X libraries will become a lot more
   common.

 - General simplification

In general I think what's there now is quite a bit cleaner and simpler,
but since I can't test most of the cases, there certainly is some
possibility that I broke something.

So, if people want to test out what is in CVS now I'd appreciate it,
especially for those deviating from the central stream of
Linux+recent X.org.