Re: a GtkFileChooser comment

Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <drlion deepwood net> writes:
>
>> Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com> writes:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Also, as you say '~' and '..' are valid starting paths for files
>>> (eg. "~200-250 recipes.txt", "...And Justice For All.mp3").
>>> Currently, you can type the first couple letters of a file and hit
>>> enter -- I don't know how you'd distinguish between wanting the
>>> home dir in one case and the file in the other.
>>
>> While I agree that adding additional meanings for `~' and `..'
>> would slightly increase ambiguity, the ambiguity already exists:
>> You can have one file named `foo', and another named `foobar' ---
>> or even one named `~'!
>
> You can swap between similarly prefixed names by hitting up and
> down.

Oh, I'm sorry, now I see what you mean.  Well, maybe ``ethereal''
entries could be added to the file list when `~' or `..' is typed.
For example:

  d  stuff
  t  ~200-250 recepies.txt
  m  ...And Justice for All.mp3

When `.' is typed:

* m  ...And Justice for All.mp3

When `~' is typed:

* h  ~ (Home Directory)
  t  ~200-250 recepies.txt

When `..' is typed:

* d  .. (Parent Directory)
  m  ...And Justice for All.mp3

Here, `t' represents the text file icon, `m' the MP3 file icon, `d'
the directory icon, and `h' the home directory icon.  An asterisk
marks the selected row.  The ``Home Directory'' and ``Parent
Directory'' text should probably be italicised for clarity.

In the last two situations, typing a `/' or pressing enter would enter
the respective directory.

Daniel Brockman
drlion deepwood net