Re: GObject Serialization

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:07:35AM +0500, Zeeshan Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > My point with the xml-dom trees is that the string/buffer approach
> > may not apply to all serialization targets.
>
>     Which data on earth can't be repressented as bytes?

Serializing the an xml dom tree.  The result is a data structure,
not raw bytes.  Have a look at libxml's xmlNode.

> If you mean the
> GObject itself, then the answer is no. I dont want GObject to
> implement this interface, otherwise I would'nt have recommended an
> interface.

That's fine.  I was objecting to expanding GObject's interface.

My goal is to see an architecture where the set of serialization
mechanisms can be extended.  glib seems like the right place for
convenience routines when creating the serializers.  It would also
be possible to define a few sample/common implementations (eg a
GMarkup based xml variant).  However, I'm not in favour of a single,
one size fits all GInterface.  Implementors will need to create
custom handlers for different use cases.