Re: [bob brasko net: Re: Glib]

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:50:24AM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Well for starters, I think that I am being enlightened into what
> dpk-config really does. What I would really like to get out of Glib, is
> to have it build a minimal Glib, in place, that I can link to CGDB. This
> way, I can distribute Glib, and not worry about it depending on anything
> else. Also, I will not be installing Glib, so pkg-config probably won't
> be necessary. Do I finally have this right?

Sounds like static linking will do what you want. Then you don't even
have to distribute a separate library file at all.

> Also, I don't want poeple to have to install pkg-config. It has nothing
> to do with CGDB, and they are never going to use Glib for the purposes I
> am using it for. So, maybe just removing the dependency from the
> configure.in with a --disable-pkg-config check would be a good solution.

People would only need to install pkg-config if they wanted to build
from source.

There are packages for glib on windows that provide a full development
environment. You can just point people to one of those.

> What do you think?
>
> I couldn't get it to install on Cygwin. Maybe I was doing something
> wrong.
>
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/bar/download/pkgconfig/pkgconfig-0.14.0'

The latest version is 0.15.0, and there is a win32 fix in there that
possibly addresses your problem. Try the latest version. Or use a
prepackaged development environment. Lots of other people do.

-Yosh