Re: [pygtk] Installation problems win32

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 09:52 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Ehresman <jpe wingide com> writes:
>
> > Sven Neumann wrote:
> > > So you are seriously suggesting that each and every GTK+ application
> > > on Win32 comes with an installer that includes it's own copy of GTK+?
> >
> > Yes I am.  Consider it from a user's point of view: I hear about the
> > new application which might help me, so I go to the website and
> > download the installer.  When I click on the installer, it tells me I
> > need to go off to another site and download something called a gtk+
> > runtime.  At this point, there's a decent chance that I'll lose
> > interest and go find something else to do.
>
> So you prefer that people will get the impression that GTK+ apps are
> large on disk space and RAM usage? I don't think that's desirable and
> I also don't think that installing two packages (for the first GTK+
> app, just one for every other) is asked too much.

It's quite normal for Windows apps to bundle all their dependencies
together, causing massive downloads. Users are quite used to each
dependency's installer running if necessary, with a restart often needed
after each one. For instance, the Windows common controls installer, or
the Windows database access installers. And now, probably the .NET
installers.

Also, some DLLs are just installed directly, after checking their
versions, without calling a separate installation executable - For
instance, C++ and MFC runtime DLLs.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com