Re: libomelette [was Re: glib unicode regular expression api]

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Anders Carlsson wrote:

> I'm not sure if having Owen or Matthias reviewing the API without
> knowing at all if it'll go into gtk+/glib is a good idea. Sure, we'll
> maybe end up with a nicely designed API, but we'll still have the
> problem with where to put it.
>
> The problem with putting it into gtk+/glib is that it'll work on Unix
> only. IIRC, for example Windows has another specification for recent
> files which means we'd have to get someone to review that, make sure
> that the EggRecent API has the least common denominator, etc. (Which
> isn't a bad thing of course, but it does add extra work). Gtk+ is
> designed to be (more or less) cross-platform, gnome isn't really.

I think you're touching on a quite sensitive area here. There's lots of
stuff that really _is_ portable, but which is in libbonoboui or
libgnomeui.
Ok, fine, maybe you can't use it on windows, but you _can_ use it on the
fb ports of GTK+.

I would really like the stress that maintainers should think not twice,
not thrice, but at least 5 times before putting stuff into libbonobui or
libgnomeui.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."