Re: Implementing custom fileselectors

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 01:54, Markku Vire wrote:

> I wonder if GtkFileSystemModel should be semi public in the same way as
> GtkFileSystem is in the upcoming release. If I have understand correctly,
> GtkFileSystem is provided for custom selector implementors. But almost
> every implementation would (probably) benefit from this treemodel in the
> same way. What are the final plans for this?

GtkFileSystem is provided for people who want to derive actual file
system implementations from it.  Consider GtkFileSystemUnix,
GtkFileSystemWin32, GtkFileSystemGnomeVFS.

It is not provided so that people implement custom file selectors.  The
file chooser API does not allow plugging in your own GUI.

I'm not sure if GtkFileSystemModel should be public.  Its API revolves
around GtkFilePath and GtkFileInfo, which are most definitely *not* a
public API.  On the other hand, at least one person on IRC has mentioned
wanting to have a GtkTreeView to show the file system's hierarchy.

  Federico