Re: GtkToolbar - 2 sizes needed ...

Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:50:14PM +0100, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> >
> > Not knowing the dock in any detail, what I would recommend for the
> > purposes of preferred size, is to treat the GtkToolbar as infinitely
> > greedy, ie. have the dock's size allocation first hand out space based
> > on requisitions, then give all remaining space to the toolbar.
> >
> > In my opinion, the right way to get "preferred size" information (and
> > I agree that it is useful and needed in many cases) would be to
> > have an extended size negotiation scheme within gtk+ that would also
> > allow stuff like wrapping boxes and widgets reporting baselines.
>
> How would that work with multiple toolbars in the same band ?

Are you asking how it can work currently, or how it would work with a
new size negotiation scheme? The answer to the first question is that
except for widget specific hacks, gtk+ doesn't provide a way to make
it work.

Answering the second question is a job for whoever gets to design the
extended size negotiation scheme. What I might imagine is that widgets
could report (a) a minimum size ("if you allocate me smaller than
this, you might as well unmap me"), (b) a preferred size ("I provide
full functionality at this size"), and (c) a maximum size ("I can't do
anything useful with any extra space beyond this").

But it is not something I have thought about in great detail.

Søren