Re: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

At 10:42 AM 1/7/2004, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:

>and two said they'd like the
> current path buttons to be combo-boxes with all the folders in the path.

That's because they haven't actually being using Path Navigator. After
having a real implementation of it  and test it with people, I do not expect
anyone going back to the combo boxes or the need for Up, Back buttons. ;-)

This is a standard response to usability testing: "They don't like it because it's not the real thing!" Even testing with low-fidelity mock-ups, such as paper prototypes or proposed screen shots, produces valid results. Such low-fidelity usability testing allows us to determine whether users will like a design before we go through the effort of coding.

Regards,
Nadyne Mielke
User Technology
IBM Research