Re: File name encoding and GTK ABI compatibility on Win32

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 01:32 +0000, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> The UNICODE macro directs using wchar_t vs. "normal" char Win32
> API. It would be very confusing to use it for some other purpose.

Not really. It means "I want my app to use Unicode instead of the system
codepage", overloading it to mean UTF-8 for glib instead of UTF-16 for
Win32 isn't such a great leap.

>  > Please don't just magically make programs compiled against the glib
>  > 2.6 headers silently depend on 2.6 only symbols.
>
> I think we have done that in the past, too?

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's a helpful behaviour.

> Well, if you want "the Windows methodology," you know where to find it ;-)

The Windows way has benefits in this case (one of the few times ...)