Re: Deferencing type-punned pointers, and how to stop gcc giving youa warning

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:32, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:41:01AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> > -ansi breaks a ton of stuff.  We want to be able to use GCC extensions
> > where available.  The best way in my opinion is to use -std=c89, along
> > with -Wall -Werror and a bunch of other -Wblah flags.
>
> Please do not use -Werror.  There are many instances where slight
> platform differences (different distros, different versions of
> distros etc) will cause warnings.

And 95% of the the time those are real bugs that need to be fixed.  Note
that with the way the code works, the CFLAGS are only appended if the
code was checked out from cvs/arch.  So tarball builds are never
impacted.

> It also removes the possibility
> of using gcc's #warning during development.

That seems like a pretty small price to pay.