Re: GtkToolbar drag and drop

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 15:44, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti <marco gnome org> writes:
>
> > > Random thought: would you want to know the GtkAction being dropped so
> > > you could display the new toolbar button (perhaps in faded form or
> > > something)?
> >
> > I think this is a very interesting idea. It would also perfectly
> > integrate with current implementation of EggEditableToolbar.
>
> I don't think that is a good idea, because

>         - what if the new item is not an action? It would be a URI or
>           something completely different.

Well in epiphany we have a way to map the URI to an action. Though doing
it in drag_motion can be more tricky than doing it on drop. (like you
dont want to keep an unused action around if the user cancel dnd...).

>         - if the drag icon looks like the new tool item there is no
>           need to display an additional copy of it.
>
>         - I think the Mac OS X way of showing where new items will be
>           placed (show a hole in the toolbar) is very obvious

I agree that if the Mac OS X is the behavior we want, it's not worth to
bother.
I talked with seth about this. He think Mac OS X implementation is ok,
though without mac like phisical movement it could be confusing. IRC log
follow... case 1 is Mac OS X like behavior.

<seth> marco: I can see benefits of both, but if case 1 is substantially
easier to implement, I think it is OK
 seb128 seth
<seth> marco: The problem is that without physical animation like on
OS/X, case 1 could be confusing
<marco> seth: yeah I think 1 is much much easier to implement
<marco> seth: not sure what you mean with physical animation ... never
seen OS/X myself
<seth> marco: On OS/X things don't "jump"
<seth> marco: They slide
<seth> marco: They move around on the screen, not just jump from
location to location
<marco> seth: oh right I see now
<seth> marco: So in OS/X when you are dragging into a toolbar, other
icons slide out of the way, so its clear what is happening
<seth> marco: In GTK they'd probably just jump out of the way, which
could be confusing

Marco