Re: RFP: File chooser user interface

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:46:00 -0400
Matthew Berg <galt gothpoodle com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 12:26, Thomas Leonard wrote:
>
> > - Users will want to open a file using the fastest, most convenient
> >   method.
>
> I'd suspect Magnus is right in saying that most users will go with
> what they know to work
>
> > - GTK's file chooser is unlikely to make a better file finder than a
> >   dedicated filer.
>
> The scope of a file dialog is much smaller than a file manager.  At
> least for me having a simple goal-oriented interface for a simple goal
> (i.e. a file dialog for opening a file) is a big win.

I agree that this is definitely to best solution for an
application-centric (aka task-oriented) way of working.

> The trick here is not loading down the FOSA dialog with a lot of cruft
> that distracts from this.

Yes.

> > Using an Open box seems slow, because you've got to indicate the
> > program AND the file to load, whereas with clicking in a file
> > manager, you only specify the file.
>
> ... unless you work with the same files in different ways.  For
> example, a single person might open an image on its own to look at it,
> or to edit it, or might open it as part of a gallery.
>
> This treads the water of the "task-oriented" versus
> "document-oriented" debate, which I honestly don't feel qualified to
> get into.

I don't think such a debate is needed. There is no reason for GTK
standing in the way for any of them. GTK should provide a FOSD for
application-centric design. This might be considered bloat by people who
prefer a document-centric design, but I have never heard that opinion. I
think we all agree here(?)