GMutex advice needed

Hi,

I need some GMutex advice. I have a C++ class that has a GMutex data member. At run time there could be anything from one dervied class to many derived classes in memory. I'm trying to decide which would be more efficient. Should the base class declare the GMutex data member static so that every derived class shares the same mutex or would it be better to declare the mutex non-static so that each derived class has its own. I was concerned that overhead and performance would be an issue in the latter case. Any advice would be a appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff Franks.