Re: GtkFileChooser API work [getting OT]

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 19:36, iain wrote:
> Exactly, so why should we make a system that is confusing?

You can't make a system that's not confusing. Everything you know is learned.
I can put my mother behind WinXP or MacOS X or any other highly-praised
desktop OS but she'll still get confused by everything.

Usually, only people who use the commandline actually care about these
(hidden) system directories. To those people, it makes sense to keep the
filename short but still somewhat meaningful. Most average users are never
(and should never) be exposed to these directories, so why make life harder
for many frequent commandline users just because 1 out of 10.000 Joe Averages
will bother looking for these directories?

> Still one thing remains
> How did you get from etc to configuration files?

I don't know, it's historical. You should read some Unix book about that for
more details.