Re: OK to stop using .def files for Windows builds with gcc?

James Henstridge writes:
 > Did you modify the configure script to pass -export-symbols-regex for
 > windows builds when doing this test?

No, I just modified the makefile to not pass --export-symbols gdk.def
to libtool, but instead pass -Wl,--export-all-symbols
-Wl,--exclude-libs=libuuid.a:libie55uuid.a:libwntab32x.a to it,

 > Looking at libtool.m4, it looks like it invokes "dlltool --export-all
 > --exclude-symbols DllMain 12,... --output-def filename objects ...",
 > then cleans up the resulting file to look like a symbol list.  This list
 > is then grepped with the symbol regex to form the final exports list.

Hmm. The -export-symbols-regex used by GTK (currently not used on
Windows) is LIBTOOL_EXPORT_OPTIONS='-export-symbols-regex "^[[^_]].*"'
So, it would not prevent the stuff from libie55uuid.a and
libwntab32x.a from being exported. One would still need the
-Wl,--exclude-libs.

But I don't see any dlltool --export-all in the libtool (1.5) I have
here? Argh, this is confusing.

--tml