RE: Auto-completion API proposal for GtkEntry

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 10:14, mpeseng tin it wrote:
> Hi Kris,
>
> so I tried to think how to reimplement epiphany completion using the new
> api.
> These are the issues I found ...
>
> - There not seem to be a way to sort the completion entries apart keeping
> them already sorted in the model.
> In Epiphany we have two sources of data: bookmarks and history. They both
> have already a tree model. The easier way to implement a completion model
> would be to use your egg union model to merge them; but that would require
> a way to sort them, similar to what treeview does.

It's possible:

model 1 \
         \
          +-- UnionModel -- SortModel
         /
model 2 /

And then passing the SortModel to the completion object. Internally the
SortModel will be wrapped in a FilterModel and the FilterModel in the
TreeView.

It's all technically possible, but I am really really worried about
speed on large datasets ...

> I think this could be useful also for other apps, in all the cases in which
> the model is shared by the autocompletion and another view.
> - We have a second treeview in the autocompletion window, at the bottom,
> that can contain entries like "Search on the web", similar to what mozilla
> does. Unfortunately I cant think to a way to reimplement the same using
> your api :/ And I see this is a very browser specific feature ...

Actually, this also came up during a discussion on IRC with Christian
Reis. Now we have a second usecase I guess it's starting to get worth
adding. Not really sure in which way though.

> Hope it's helpful.

Of course (:

thanks,

	-Kris