Re: GTK+ 2.2.1 crashes

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 14:12, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 00:08, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:

> > I think I found a bug in GTK+ 2.2.1, which will cause it to write out of
> > bounds when I have a pixbuf in a GtkTreeView, and part of that pixbuf is
> > exposed. The bug could be more general.
> >
> > It's apparently been fixed on the 2.2 branch in CVS. Is this a known
> > bug?

> Why are you asking us? You have access to CVS, you have the test case.
> If the bug shows up with current CVS, please file a bug in bugzilla
> so that it doesn't get forgotten about.

I am asking you because you're the maintainers and principal developers
of GTK+. I am asking specifically because the bug appears to be fixed on
the 2.2 branch (not in HEAD), and I wanted to know if it was fixed
deliberately or coincidentally, and when the fix would be available in
an official release.

It could be serious, since it's memory corrupting and appears to happen
in a memcpy () somewhere under gdk_draw_pixbuf () [the rest of the stack
trace seems imprecise]. Most of the time it doesn't crash, it just
writes outside its buffer. That code has undergone a revamp on the 2.2
branch, and I guess that's why the bad behaviour went away, although I
don't see a reference to the problem in the ChangeLog.

If the fix was deliberate, I wouldn't have to file a bug, and you
wouldn't have to close it.

If my initial question looked aggressive or you perceived it as applying
pressure to you, I apologize for that. It wasn't intended as such, but
might have looked that way because I wanted it to be brief and concise,
so you wouldn't have to wade through preemptively apologetic and
long-winded paragraphs like this one. I know you have a lot of work to
do. I do too.

> > Does the GTK+ team have any plans for a 2.2.2 release, and if yes,
> > when?

> Yes. No precise idea when. I'd hope within the next week, but there
> are a *lot* of bugs to be sorted through, and I'm trying to keep
> some momentum with new development...

Thanks. If you don't have more specific information regarding the bug,
I'll settle for this, and file it against HEAD.

--
Hans Petter