Re: Showing a window behind others?

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:54:39AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 10 o'clock on Mar 14, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > the X model doesn't really allow the stacking order
> > of managed clients to be controlled at the level that you want
> > here.
>
> Once mapped, you can restack windows at will with XConfigureWindow.  The WM
> is supposed to pull out the other client window ID from the request and stack
> your frame relative to the frame containing the other client window.

Well - "at will" means "unless the window manager smacks you down"
and metacity for example will find various excuses to do so. ;-)

I don't see why simply setting TRANSIENT_FOR doesn't work here.  Owen
implies that the ICCCM forbids changing transient for on a mapped
window, but I don't actually see that in section 4.1.2.6, and while
some WMs may not honor it I think most will at least handle it
gracefully. If they don't they suck.

Havoc