Re: Pthread detection in glib 2.2.1

Am Mon, 2003-03-10 um 20.32 schrieb Owen Taylor:

> Anyways, I spent a ton of work on cross-compiling prior to
> 2.2.0, so if you haven't tried cross-compiling since then,
> I'd advise trying it and/or reading the source code.

Actually I have both and have to say that I'm generally
very pleased by the work you've done including applying
other work in this area. Thanks.

My intention here is to make sure that dubious problems are
avoided, asking the linker to check for a function is
certainly better than running testcode (or failing in case
of crosscompilation) by the means that the existance of the
exercised function is checked. However there are cases where
checking for existance of a function is *not* enough to also
grasp for correct semantics and threading implementations are
a very nice example for this. Better would be to check with
the compiler/assembler/linker for known features/semantics
because they certainly know best (of the tools we have access
to in the moment of configuration).

--
Servus,
       Daniel