Re: GtkTreeView column-chooser dialog

Jonathan Blandford wrote:
Proposal:
=========

I'd like to add a new dialog to GTK+.  This dialog would give a
consistent way to change the layout of a multi-columned GtkTreeView
widget.  There's an implementation in libegg that currently looks like
this:

http://people.redhat.com/jrb/files/Screenshot-Test-tree-column.png

The basic idea is that we provide a dialog to modify the
order/visibility of columns on a complicated view.  I feel like
something like this is common enough that it warrants going into GTK+.
Still, if people feel it's inappropriate, we can put it elsewhere.

Bleh. I'd much rather see an extra column ala (the only thing that springs to mind) Mozilla. Its an extra column header at the upper right (I guess it could be upper left if RTL) that when clicked, drops down a menu with check menu items for all the columns representing their visability. Since TreeView already has columns reorderable, why add an extra dialog? The whole thing just seems really clumsy when a more direct approach would be easier.

I wrote my own widget that, rather hackishly, adds this extra column, a screenshot is available at http://ishamael.tunkeymicket.com/images/itv.png I suppose I could provide the code if anyone was interested enough, but its rather... hackish, as I said.

--
-charlie