Making Signal For A Widget.

I would like to make a signal for a particular widget that will be emmited when you press the
first mouse button.
I don't want to use the
g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(widget),"button_press_event",G_CALLBACK(callback),NULL);
for the widget Because i want the callback to called only when i press the First mouse button.

So I would like to make something like "clicked" signal for the gtk_button.
IN gtkbutton.c is called
g_signal_new("clicked",....);
but i don't undarstand how this signal is emmited only when the button pressed. So can anyone tell me how you pass the events to g_signal_new that will emmit the new signal.

Thanks
In advance
Bill Souliotis