Re: Implementing HIG style frames with GtkFrame

Owen Taylor writes:

I've certainly said it elsewhere at some point, but magically making
all frames HIG-ident boxes when running under GNOME is not right and won't work. The main problem is that the details of the surrounding padding will be wrong.
You can't design a nice looking dialog without having some idea of
how it's going to look; frames and HIG indents are *different* forms
of grouping, even if they serve the same logical purpose.
My understanding of why we added the padding to GtkAlignment was that
we were going to do HIG indents as simply
 GtkVBox
GtkLabel (set bold) GtkAlignment (with HIG indent of padding on the left) <children>

So should the resolution of that bug be wontfix? I personally feel that some sort of simple api for doing this in code would be nice so that every implementor doesn't need to do a custom dialog build here [1]. Anyway, I'm willing to do the work if I can a definitive this is what we want answer since I have absolutely no experience designing api. dave [1] I don't use glade probably cuz i'm just too lazy to sit down for 10 minutes and figure it out. As a rule I just tend to code up ui's.