Re: New widget - API

Matthias Clasen <maclas gmx de> writes:

> I think the pre-2.0 plan was that somebody would eventually write a
> model-view replacement for gtktable which could then reuse some of the
> treeview technology, e.g. cell renderers.

That was indeed the main idea of the CellRenderers.  We wanted to write
them in such a way that they could be used by both a sheet widget
(GtkSheetView?) as well as the GtkTreeView.  Additionally, we wanted to
have a GtkSheetModel interface that could be implemented by
GtkListStore, so you could put that object in both widgets.

> This would certainly be a major project, though.  The treeview code is
> approx. 28000 lines currently and still growing...

Regretfully, it's closer to 38KLOC.  Another close match in
functionality is ETable which is almost 50KLOC.

Still, this is really an exciting widget to write, and it wouldn't be
that much code initially.  Additionally, between Chris Lahey, Kristian
Rietveld, Jody Goldberg and I[1], there's a lot of experience writing
these kind of widgets.  If you do want to try to write it, please post
ideas to the list so that we can comment on them.

One thing I wouldn't do is to start with GtkTable, because although it
superficially seems similar to a sheet widget, it really is quite
different.

Good luck!
-Jonathan

[1] ...and the plenty of other people on this list who've had the good
fortune to play with GtkTreeView's code.