New widget - API

Hi,
I e-mailed some time ago about selecting individual cells inside gtktreeview,
and what might be required to modify this widget to do just this.

Well, I've decided after some thought that a new widget specifically written to
do this job might be in order.

At the moment I'm thinking of basing the new widget on the GtkTable, although I
expect to to greater differ in the end from this code.

I'm currently just at the 'ideas' stage, had a bit of a play with the GtkTable
(duplicated it, done a few mods and familarised myself with a few things), no
work as of yet, because I'd like to know what people think should be in such a
widget to make it as useful as it can be.

I'm currently thinking of

* Row x Cols based widget
* dedicated headers - with label widgets, e.g. Letters A, B, C,....in a
  Spreadsheet
* Interior rows - Entry widget
* viewable width and actual width
* moveable columns (i.e. drag columns left and right)
* moveable rows (i.e. drag columns left and right)
* Column on Very left with tags, e.g. numbers in a spreadsheet
* Selectable columns,selectable rows, selectable cells

So as one can see, I'm thinking of blending some of the functionality of the
GtkTreeView into the table widget, but would obviously still want it to be a
done well, and not just be some dirty hack.

What are people's thoughts?

Joe

--
Linux Madman