Re: new win32 port of GTK http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm

--- Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
> Let's compare two scenarios:
>
> 1) Alice downloads the binary MUMBLE build from Bob's site, and
> downloads libfoo (that MUMBLE requires) from another site, linked to
> from Bob's MUMBLE site. Everything works together. Later the other
> server disappears, the libfoo maintainer is run over by a train, or
> whatever. Ouch. But Alice still has the libfoo she downloaded
> previously, and everything continues to work for her. She can
> download
> new versions of MUMBLE, and the work with her old copies of
> libfoo. Eventually Bob, the provider of the MUMBLE build notices (is
> told) that his libfoo links are dead, and either finds another place
> to link to for the same stuff, or puts his own tucked-away copies up
> for download instead at his site.

Assuming that the sources of the libs are somewhere. Sure.

> 2) Bob's site has copies of the libfoo build and sources. These
> copies
> are what he had fetched at some time, and he doesn't keep checking
> for
> updates to libfoo every now and then. After some months, a security
> hole in libfoo is found and fixed, and the other, more official,
> libfoo distribution site is updated. Bob doesn't know about that, and
> keeps offering his insecure copies.
>
> Which one is better?

It is better to have links. Yes I did go overboard on the copying
issues. How you have solved it now for the gtk is good.

I was wrong, and in getting all upset, it was hard for me to see my
slip in logic. The problems that I had with the dll hell and the the
difficulties in getting the right dlls in june last year were not
imagined. After my mails, things have gotten better.

Now the situation is much better, It seems that all the sources are
avaiable, or promimently linked. Thanks for helping out.

You will admit however, that it is not bad to have a debian package
repository of all the modules that are know to work in one place. The
entire idea of debian is that people work togeather, but the results
are merged into a system. The dpkg packaging of gtk and libs is the
best solution, it provides a common way to get the libs, and if you
need the sources, "apt-get source " will get them for you.

Regards,

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont